mason jar diy: bathroom jars
Mason jars are some of my favorite things to use for crafts and DIY projects, and it just so happens that Antique Candle Co.® (previously Antique Candle Works) hand pours most of our candles into these classic glass Mason jars!
We showed you how to make an adorable painted and distressed vase, as well as a simple but beautiful burlap vase, both using cleaned out Mason jar candles. Now, I’m going to teach you how to make your own bathroom set using all the different sizes of ACC candles!
Painted and Distressed Bathroom Jars
This stunning three-piece bathroom set is a perfect and easy addition to any bathroom, especially if you have a bunch of old Antique Candle Co.® candles! This tutorial uses our 16, 8, and 4-ounce candle jars.
What you will need: old ACC Mason jar candles, chalk paint (I used white, but you can use any color), paintbrushes, sandpaper, a Mason jar soap pump lid insert kit, soap, cotton balls (optional), q-tips (optional), Mason jar lid ring (optional)
- Clean out the left over wax from your Mason jar candles. This should be fairly easy, as our natural soy wax is water-soluble.
- Once the jars are completely dry on the outside, place your jar upside down on some newspapers or other work area and start painting. Make sure you paint every area of the outside of the jars, including the uneven surfaces. Each jar will probably require 2-3 coats of paint.
- The paint we used dried pretty quickly between each coat, but just to be safe, let the paint dry for the recommended time as specified on your chalk paint container. It must be completely dry before you start distressing the paint.
- Once the paint is dry, begin distressing the paint with sandpaper. We used a coarse sandpaper to sand all the protruding areas, such as the ‘MASON’ wording, as well as some of the even surface. This step can just be done to your preference, but the key is to not sand too much; you want it to look like natural wear.
- Once you’re done distressing, fill each jar with your favorite bathroom necessities! We used a soap pump kit specifically for Mason jars (found at a local hobby store) for the 16oz jar, repurposing it into a soap dispenser. We then filled the 8oz jar with cotton balls, and the 4oz jar with q-tips! We also found the ring portion of an old canning lid and used that to decorate the 4oz jar. Any of these jars can be filled with any bathroom items you can think of!
This Mason jar bathroom set is a gorgeous addition to a bathroom that adds that flare of handmade, rustic style that every home, especially a farmhouse home, needs! What a great way to repurpose your old candles, rather than throwing them away!
As I’ve said before, when it comes to Mason jars, the possibilities are endless!
For more Mason jar craft inspiration, visit our Mason jar vase blog for two easy tutorials! Have you repurposed your Antique Candle Co.® candle? Send us a photo and let us know!
Check out our Pinterest for some more stunning DIY inspiration!
Have a beautiful day!
Photography by Hannah Christine Photography
Leave a comment
We are currently unable to respond directly to comments on blogs but we read every one! 🤗 If you need any assistance from our team please reach out here 💕